Re: [Phys-l] Creativity (was IBM Global CEO Study)

Some subscribers to Phys-L and Physoc might be interested in a recent post "Re: Creativity (was IBM Global CEO Study)" [Hake (2010)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: Jerry Eads in an EDDRA2 post of 2 August, pointed out that:

1. A recent report "IBM Global CEO Study" based on interviews with 1,541 CEOs, managers and public sector leaders in 60 countries and 33 industries, indicated that "The single most important characteristic CEOs say they need in their leaders is: CREATIVITY. "

2. "We are embarking on a 'national curriculum' literally built on constructs developed in the 18th century, pooling state resources to develop yet more tests that might enable attention on a broader range of students yet still focus primarily on 'basic skills' (that's what we know how to measure). but. . . . BUT THEY ARE NOT SUFFICIENT. We've heard over and over and over that U.S. higher education is valued more than any other in the world because it produces creative graduates, yet we continue to do our best to ignore that need in K-12 policy. "

Some 80 years ago Louis Paul Benezet, at the time superintendent of schools in Manchester, New Hampshire, had ideas similar to those of Eads - see e.g., The Benezet Centre <http://bit.ly/926tiM>. Unfortunately, Benezet's work has been all but forgotten.

To access the complete 8 kB post please click on <http://yhoo.it/ajWhOR>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>