Re: [Phys-l] Anti-science (Was: Responding to a DJ about science)

On 7/28/2010 3:58 PM, Marty Weiss wrote:
Thank you! I have been dying to say this but didn't want to stir up the inevitable firestorm of PC replies. Being intelligent isn't an advantage in this country, and those who speak or write with anything other than four letter words are often looked upon as somehow being *uppity* or *snobbish* and are accused of appearing to be better than everyone else. /snip/
Ha - truly dangerous material for a physics list!
On the one hand, I was shocked and impressed to hear the newly selected prime minister of Britain responding to an NPR interviewer in a famously cultivated manner, with clearly marshalled argument and modestly assertive manner. (this, from a product of the most privileged 'Public School' and Ivy League education...) One no longer expects it of a public man. Yes, Bush was a Yale alumnus.

On the other hand, I will confess a prejudice of mine: that when all else of Physics is forgotten, a Physics major will invariably remember the (dismissive?) Physics attitude.

The result of such conceptual conflict is to leave me both cheering and booing Marty at once. Sigh....

Brian W