Re: [Phys-l] Fuzzy language

On 7/28/2010 6:46 PM, John Clement wrote:
Since I commented about how being vague or using inappropriate language is a
sign of confusion, I just got this article. It actually confirms my
observation.
*
I was tempted to make some slighting reference to this leading sentence, then I thought again about casting stones.
*
/snip/
Lost in Translation
New cognitive research suggests that language profoundly influences the way
people see the world; a different sense of blame in Japanese and Spanish

Do the languages we speak shape the way we think? Do they merely express
thoughts, or do the structures in languages (without our knowledge or
consent) shape the very thoughts we wish to express?

Take "Humpty Dumpty sat on a..." Even this snippet of a nursery rhyme
reveals how much languages can differ from one another. In English, we have
to mark the verb for tense; in this case, we say "sat" rather than "sit." In
Indonesian you need not (in fact, you can't) change the verb to mark tense.
In Russian, you would have to mark tense and also gender, changing the verb
if Mrs. Dumpty did the sitting. You would also have to decide if the sitting
event was completed or not. If our ovoid hero sat on the wall for the entire
time he was meant to, it would be a different form of the verb than if, say,
he had a great fall.

In Turkish, you would have to include in the verb how you acquired this
information. For example, if you saw the chubby fellow on the wall with your
own eyes, you'd use one form of the verb, but if you had simply read or
heard about it, you'd use a different form.

*
It seems to me that English can subsume these foreign language forms, quite readily.
Perhaps other languages too can be molded more to the foreign heart's desire?

H.D sat on a wall. "past perfect"
H.D. was sitting on a wall. "past continuous"
If H.D were sitting on a wall, he would have... Subjunctive"
H.D sits on the wall and has a great fall. "historic present".

Still, there is a point to be made: just as in English there is an aphorism that
"people will achieve wonderful things, so long as they don't care who takes the credit",
I hear that there is a social mode in Japanese society that one should pay great attention to not losing face, nor taking part in allowing others to lose face: a way of doing things that includes resigning a senior post and its older counterpart - ceremonial self- immolation - for demonstrated shameful actions. Shame, now THERE'S a topic for academic research: a quality in short supply, as I sometimes think.

I expect some other languages fall more easily into the way of anonymizing assertions - so that although "one" no longer falls easily from the American lip, "they" serves readily for the singular pronoun which one prefers not to endow with gender.

Brian W