Re: [Phys-l] Responding to a DJ about science

Part of my response would be to state that Aristotle believed the Earth was spherical; the Catholic Church, through Thomas Aquinas, believed basically all that was Aristotelian, so nobody feared being killed for thinking the Earth was round, which had been known since about 400 B.C. by philosophers (scientists of the time). The most important point, though, is that scientists have invented instruments to extend our senses and make unambiguous and accurate measurements. The senses will often delude us. Does the d.j. not believe in bacteria, this requires a microscope; and so on. Will the d.j. ever need an X-ray or an MRI? Will all this be fiction to him? If he is a member of the Christian Science Church, then all bets are off.

James Espinosa