[Phys-l] Bermuda Triangle

Perhaps this web site has something to say on the subject.

http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/Bermuda%20Triangle.html

Randi has worked with physicists to expose hoaxes, and until some writers
managed to make a killing on the story, nobody considered the Bermuda
Triangle to be that much more dangerous than many other areas. I suspect
the Outer Banks is equally as dangerous because the sands shift all the
time. And let us not forget the N Atlantic which has been graveyard for
many a vessel because of the violent storms. The Bermuda triangle has small
islands as well as coral beds plus hurricanes which form a combination that
can easily cause ships to sink. Plus it has a large amount of air and sea
traffic.

The NOVA exposed the various hoaxes in the original book. Actually pilots
like the Bermuda Triangle run and do not consider it to be dangerous for
planes. But sensations sell books while rational explanations only sell a
limited number of textbooks.

Remember the bias that many of these web sites can have. Sensation feeds on
itself. I get all kinds of screwy sensationalistic E-mails sent by gullible
people. The repeat urban myths, and I would put the Bermuda Triangle in the
same category.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX