Re: [Phys-l] how to explain relativity

Fascinating - I love the wikipedia because it can be 'corrected' by people who know the 'right answer'.

pls note: This page was last modified on 3 June 2010 at 12:00.

Keep an eye on the modifications??

I first was introduced to the Born Rigidity version in Analog Sc-Fi magazine in the late 50's or early 60's.
If a 'perfectly rigid' loooooong rocket as a big bunch of engines distributed along its length and they all fire simultaneously (in its own ref frame), what do the various observers report.

At 12:50 PM -0500 6/15/10, William Maddox wrote:
From: WC Maddox

To go along with the astronaut/twin "paradox" there is a less well known
paradox involving length contraction. It is known as the rocket-rope
paradox and as Bell's spaceship paradox. If interested see this website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_spaceship_paradox

There are two versions. In one version the rockets have a constant
proper acceleration. In the other version the rocket engines are turned
off after some prearranged time so only SR is needed. The question is
whether a rope (or spring) connected between the rockets will physically
stretch (or break) or not. There are three interpretations: SR1 - rope
will stretch or break, SR2- rope will not stretch or break, and Physical
Effect- rope will stretch or break. If interested after reading above
reference, I would recommend reading the following references in order
followed by other references: original article by Dewan & Beran,
objection by Nawrocki, & response by Dewan.