Re: [Phys-l] how to prove relativity

So far nobody has presented any reasonable sequences which may begin to
convince the non physicist of relativity.

I really disagree with this. Not only has the discussion been a correct way of looking at things, but as plausibility arguments go when faced with someone who may not even be able to understand much of kinematics, this goes an amazingly looong way. Before, given the so-called "traditional" way of describing relativity, one was left with "mathy" Lorentz transforms, and paradoxes. Cool to think about, but even less convincing.

And there is much more to relativity than just the "time dilation".

Perhaps, but the discussion so far has really captured a core essence IMHO. What's missing, for me personally, is to add a discussion of relativity of simultaneity. I believe this is superior to the discussion of accelerations in SR, in the same way the discussion of spacetime and path != distance is superior to the dilation and paradox presentations.

Stefan Jeglinski