From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Donald Smith
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 10:11 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] how to prove relativity

Greetings,

I remember reading a short article not too long ago (within the last
two years, I'm pretty sure), but I don't remember where! Physics
Today? The Physics Teacher? In it, the author described how he had
synchronized the clocks on two home personal computers, and then taken
one of them with him on vacation up into the Rockies. When he came
back after two weeks at much higher altitudes, the two clocks were out
of sync at just the amount you'd expect. It was a very short article,
perhaps a letter, but it did have a data figure, I believe, which I
think was in color.

Has anyone else seen that article or know where I could find it?

I doubt it would convince someone who was committed to not being
convinced, but it was a nice, simple demonstration with everyday
objects. I wish I had made a copy of it for my classes when I first
saw it.

Thanks,
--
Donald Smith