Re: [Phys-l] Efficiency problem

At 12:38 -0400 05/29/2010, Michael Edmiston wrote:

I found this whole study to be very sad and very discouraging. It made me
realize that doing the right thing is not something that individuals, or
small groups, or small communities can pull off. Getting us off of fossil
fuels and onto alternative sources (whether the sources are wind, solar,
nuclear, whatever) needs to be done on scales much larger than grass-roots
projects can pull off.

I have a few questions and comments about this project.

I would think that expecting 50% performance factor for a single large wind turbine is rather optimistic, unless you live in a particularly windy area (but not so windy that the turbine would have to be shut down too often because of too string winds).

Did you consider distributed power generation on campus rather than a single large (for the size of the project) generation system? Distributed solar power, meaning installing solar PV panels on any large rooftop areas and over parking lots, or small wind turbines on rooftops (vertical axis turbines are often quite suitable for small installations and are less visually obtrusive or noisy), and then using the power generated in nearby buildings, where the distribution system is already in place might have been a more practical alternative, depending on what storage or additional generation would be needed for load balancing.

Was the goal of the project saving money, or "getting green"? While doing both is great, of course, that isn't always possible, so the university would need to consider how much more they are willing to pay in order to "green up" the campus.

How are the buildings and campus hot water heated? If either is by electricity, solar thermal panels might have been a good alternative for either or those tasks, and that would have reduced the electric load that would have been needed from the wind source(s).

Were their any federal or state incentives for the university that might have reduced the possible pay-back time?

How much effort was put into increasing energy efficiency on campus that might have also reduced the electrical demand? Building efficiency is often the low-hanging fruit in projects like this--easy to do (with some thought and planning) and often much cheaper than the electricity used to cover the inefficiencies. But such projects, especially those that depend on large-scale cooperation by the people impacted need to be as transparent and automatic as possible, and combined with a PR campaign to get active participation from as many people as possible.

Sometimes, as apparently you found in your study, direct production of energy is jut not practical, in which case other alternatives can be sought--making the campus more bicycle-friendly; ramping up a recycling program; converting the university's motor fleet to electric or PHEV wherever possible (and using solar PV in the parking yards to recharge electric vehicles); solar thermal projects, as mentioned above; converting incandescent lighting to CFL or LED, if your campus had a central steam heating system, installing a co-generation system could be a consideration, and steam tunnels can often be used to do double duty in electric power distribution; insuring that all new buildings are designed to be as energy-efficient as possible and incorporate improved energy efficiency into all existing building renovations; creating a campus web-site that will display continuously the current and accumulating energy savings due to campus improvements (such software already exits and there are several companies that specialize in this type of installation--check with the folks at AASHE for details)--programs like this have been effective in getting the campus people involved in an energy-saving program.

I don't know how narrowly focused your study group was or what the initial charter of the group was, but I hope that it's mandate was a broad as possible. If all you were allowed to do was look at this particular wind turbine and how it could be used, then I think you entered into the project with your hands tied behind your back. A also don't know whether any of the possible alternatives I've mentioned would have been practical in your particular situation, but my list is hardly exhaustive. AASHE is in the business of helping educational installations "get green," and they can be of great help in difficult situations.

Contrary to your conclusion, my impression is that the energy/climate problem will only be solved if we use the mantra "think globally, act locally" as at least a major part of our thinking in these matters. Some things need to be done on a national or global scale, but my observation of the Washington scene from close up tells me that those things will only happen when the pressure to do so from below becomes overwhelming. We have to set the example for the state, federal and other national agencies to act by showing them how we can do it locally.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org