Re: [Phys-l] Efficiency problem

At 07:56 -0400 05/29/2010, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:

On a related note: There is a company near here that sells multi-ton flywheels that further smooth out the demand on a plant even after the day/night disparities have been ironed out. The devices are designed to contiuously monitor consumption, and provide power to the grid whenever consumption is above a certain level, and store energy from the grid in the form of the kinetic energy of the flywheel whenever the consumption is below a certain level. See:
< http://www.beaconpower.com/ >

_
I'm happy to hear that this interesting technology is still around. I got interested in it about 35 years ago when I was stationed in the Pentagon and saw a write-up on it in Scientific American. At the time, they were saying that new technologies were making flywheel storage a distinct possibility for transportation use--wheels made of Kevlar (heavy and with high tensile strength to withstand the centrifugal forces of high spin rates), and magnetic bearings to reduce friction, meant that overall efficiency could be over 90%, with dynamic braking to recover energy from stops or slowing down. It was tried in some busses in San Francisco, IIRC, but nothing much came of it.

But stationary applications like this seem to be a pretty good fit, and would be really useful for storage at wind or CST sites as well. Don't know much about current costs, however.

Hugh

PS. I used conservative efficiency estimates in my hypothetical example to allow for other losses in the pumping system and to simplify the calculations. The issue is not with conservation of energy. This is not a perpetual motion scheme, and whether it can work in the scenario that was proposed or not depends entirely on the difference between the cost to purchase electricity to pump the water up hill and the price that can be realized from the electricity generated when the water flows downhill. This is true regardless of the efficiency of the overall system.

H^2

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org