Re: [Phys-l] Strange fall data

On 05/28/2010 01:16 PM, Josh Gates wrote:

I've had this problem before, demonstrating free fall with high speed
video analysis, picket fences, and sonic rangers. The acceleration
always turns out to be a bit bigger than g.

Various things to check:
*) What g are you using?
-- Textbook author's guess?
-- NIST "standard" value?
http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?gn
-- actual local measured value?
http://irpsrvgis00.utep.edu/repositorywebsite/Default.aspx

The actual g value does vary from place to place to a
quite measurable degree. Since I haven't heard how big
the observed discrepancy is, I have no way of knowing
whether the variation is big enough to explain the
discrepancy.

*) How about geometry, such as parallax? If you have a
reference grid appreciably behind the falling object,
simple geometry will give exaggerated distances, velocities,
and accelerations.

*) Similarly, if you have a reference grid off to the
side of the object, you are at the mercy of imperfections
in the camera lens, e.g. fisheye distortion, barrel
distortion, et cetera.

Hint: Moving the camera far away and using a long focal
length lens may be an easy way to alleviate some of the
problems with geometry, parallax, and/or distortion.

*) As others have mentioned, maybe the 300 fps timebase
of the camera is off. Aim the camera at the seconds digits
of a digital clock. Or aim it at a color TV. TVs are
very closely synchronized to 60/1.001 Hz, approximately
59.9401 Hz.

*) Maybe there's a huge downdraft blowing on the
apparatus.

A more detailed description of the apparatus, maybe even
with a picture, would help folks figure out what's going
on. At the very least, it would help to have a report
on the size of the discrepancy, so we know whether we
are hunting a mouse or an elephant.

As for sonic rangers, there's a whole nother set of
things that can go wrong with those. For starters,
they fundamentally measure the frequency of arriving
wavefronts ... and temperature will mess with the
frequency-to-wavelength conversion factor.