Re: [Phys-l] Cramster et al.

I collect homework and give effort points. Grades are weighted. Tests
are worth more than hw. I tell them that if they do the hw, they are
set for the test. I try to put a hw question on the test (maybe
different numbers, but the same setup. That encourages kids to do the
hw.

Or maybe make an entire test (or 2) exactly out of the hw problems? For those who did do the hw, it may measure nothing more than rote memorization, but that is learning on some level, at least compared to some revelations in this thread.

And, while it doesn't solve the deeper problem, what better way to make a student feel "dumb" about how easy it would have been to do well - just do the homework to begin with :-)

Stefan Jeglinski*

* unclear that I did anything significantly more impressive than rote memorization while in undergrad, or even grad school for that matter...