Re: [Phys-l] Optics textbook?

Not a text rec. but - can you use 'Visuals' other than slides??
A good calcite crystal does wonders for getting to the heart of birefringence.
Seeing the two images (of newsprint - or whatever) is a good start.
Clearly, there are two axes of optical stuff going on.
Rotate the crystal.
HeNe lasers used to have two modes that would slowly oscillate. The two spots that came out of the calcite would slowly fade back and forth.
If your audience could have 'standard' polarized sunglasses - they could verify that the two calcite images are indeed oppositely polarized.

There plenty of circularly polarized (helical) rf antenna pics on the web - left and right handed.
Good to emphasize that it's all EM radiation.