Re: [Phys-l] musical instruments

All of this reminds me of the PDQ Bach Concerto for Tromboon. The tromboon was an instrument which looked like a trombone but had a bassoon bocal and double reed attached where the normal mouthpiece would fit. Absolutely horrid timbre.

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Clement
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:21 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] musical instruments

But of course superb players can play on anything. Dennis Brain played a
Mozart concerto on a green garden hose. He used a mouthpiece, but I don't
recall whether he had an improvised bell. There may be a picture of him
doing it! He even trilled at the end.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Many a-time have I used a 10 ft length of electrical conduit to show
how bugle calls can be massacred.
Never tried a mouthpiece, never tried a flared bell.
Either of these additions might make it a way more pleasant listening
experience.

So many new things to try.

Hard-drawn 3/4 " copper water line works too.