Re: [Phys-l] musical instruments

Of the instruments mentioned in Mike's note, the trombone seems specially
well suited to the task - in that a differential measurement of length versus
frequency can be measured at several extensions, which would help subdue one
or two effects that he mentioned - the displaced antinode, the bell mouth
acoustic impedance change etc.,

Brian W
Edmiston, Mike wrote:
One source is Thomas D. Rossing's book: The Science of Sound.

In the chapter on brass instruments he lists...

Trumpet 140 cm
French horn 375 cm
Trombone 275 cm
Tuba 536 cm
Baritone 264 cm.
/snip/
Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski
For my upcoming Sound topic, I am wanting a list of the LENGTHS of brass
instruments (bugle, trumpet, trombone, tuba, and French horn). I've
searched online with not much success. Does anyone know of a good source
for this information?