Re: [Phys-l] Graphing algebraic equations

John Clement wrote:

Notice that they also have students measure data on maps. This is serious
pedagogy designed to help students with measurements. They have to deal
with maps that have scales. /snip/
John M. Clement
Houston, TX
Which reminds me - as as an anti-drug (?) measure, it was decided some years ago
that paper pilot certificates were insecure, and that they would be upgraded to a
plastic version, so that the paper pilot license would expire at the end of this month.

For the majority of domestic pilots, this was not onerous - and could be done on line.
For people like me who received an FAA license on the basis of a UK license
many years ago - the online application did not apply - rather a CAA validation
to the FAA was needed, who would in the fullness of time, grant.... I am sure you see the difficulty in expecting two National safety bureaucracies
to work smoothly and swiftly together, when I belatedly became aware of the need.

So, in quiet desperation as this month dawned on the prospective grounding of my plane,
I went to plan B - fly an FAA license from scratch. And here, finally,
I get to the point.

An FAA delegate, & Pilot Examiner, Mary Latimer, was available within 30 miles,
who could advise me on what to do. And among the useful memory aids, acronyms etc.
that she passed on, she demonstrated that an unexpected diversion could make use
of a handy distance scale, always available in the form of a finger to thumb span
on a sectional chart (scaled 8 SM = 1 in) which provides a reasonable 60 NM measure
for both men and women, easily checked between adjacent degree lines of lat.

Brian W