Re: [Phys-l] ill-posed problems

I pray I understand -- JD is using the maths definition? of which there is even a journal:

http://www.reference-global.com/loi/jiip?cookieSet=1

a course (and how to treat them):

The notion of a well-posed problem, un problème bien posé, goes back to a famous paper by Jacques Hadamard published in 1902. In an earlier paper in 1901 he mentioned questions mal posées. He argued that the problems that are physically important are both possible and déterminé, i.e., solvable and uniquely solvable. He gave examples of problems that are not well posed; they are also, he claimed, dépourvu de signification physique. However, I shall show that important problems in technology, medicine, and the natural sciences that are ill-posed abound. In fact, any measurement, except for the most trivial ones, gives rise to an inverse problem that is ill-posed.

http://www.math.uu.se/~kiselman/illposed2003.html

Ill-posed problems of mathematical physics and analysis:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=9eD-BBZfm9EC&oi=fnd&pg=PR5&dq=%22ill+posed+problems%22+physics&ots=L_bJ4B0OrC&sig=aQD4zSAs7-n-mqVh60WK-6a8r9s#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Wiki's definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-posed_problem

bc, etc.