From: ludwik kowalski <kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Sun, February 28, 2010 10:26:13 AM
Subject: [Phys-l] Electromagnetic waves

I was asked a simple question. How can it be answered in a simple way?

"For a wave to form, a restoring force is required. For example, the
sound waves in air are produce by compressing the air and the
restoring force is related to the compressibility of the gas. What
is the restoring force for radio waves in a vacuum?"

Ludwik Kowalski

Ludwik's new book--"Tyranny to Freedom: Diary of a Former Stalinist"--
is now available at www.amazon.com

REVIEWS ARE ALSO AT THAT WEBSITE