[Phys-l] Modeling Workshops nationwide for physics & chem teachers

Feb. 3, 2010
ANNOUNCEMENT (please forward to other teachers):

Modeling Workshops in high school physics, chemistry, and/or physical science will be held in summer 2010 in Arizona, Alabama, Miami FL, Iowa, New Orleans LA, Maine, Michigan, Minneapolis MN, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pittsburgh PA, northern Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Dallas TX, and Wisconsin.
Modeling Workshops will be held also in Georgia, Chicago IL, Kansas, South Dakota, and Washington, pending funding.
Visit http://modeling.asu.edu for details. Click on "Modeling Workshops Nationwide in Summer 2010".
http://modeling.asu.edu/MW_nation.html
Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Modeling Instruction is one of two K-12 science programs designated by the U.S. Department of Education as EXEMPLARY.
Stipends and/or free tuition at some sites: usually for in-state teachers.
Ask your principal for Federal Title II-A funds. For information and more funding sources: http://modeling.asu.edu/MW_nation.html

Outstanding peer leaders at sites include Larry Dukerich, Rex and Debbie Rice, Michael Crofton, Matt Greenwolfe, Rich McNamara, Kathy Malone, Kathy Harper, Jeff Steinert, Earl Legleiter, Jim Stankevitz, Nicholas Park, Jamie Vesenka, Ed Wyrembeck, and more!

Teachers nationwide greatly value Modeling Instruction. They wrote:
* In thirty years of teaching, nothing has impacted my teaching like the ideas I've learned in modeling. It is the best idea to enter the teaching methods I have ever seen.
* After the first year of teaching using the modeling method, I wished I had learned about modeling years ago.
* Most useful course I have taken since becoming a teacher.
* Thanks to taking physics modeling course work, I am highly qualified in physics.
* I learned a tremendous amount and am all fired up to teach physics this fall!
* I learned more about teaching and physics this summer than in 5 years of college!
* Great chem workshop.
* It was, without a doubt, the single greatest professional development experience of my career.
--
cheers,
Jane