Re: [Phys-l] heat/energy

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
I'm looking for some simple activities for a heat investigation/lab.
Specifically, when two objects collide, I want to show how kinetic energy
(loss) changes to work, sound, and heat. I thought about just hammering a
nail. They can clearly see the nail going into the wood and hear the
noise. I tried this (driving the nail about 1.5 cm), but could not really
sense a temperature change in the nail and hammer head. I then tried
pounding a lead brick with a sledgehammer, but both felt cool to the
touch. Maybe this has to be done for a longer time?

Does anyone have a demo/activity that "easily" shows a temperature rise
when two objects impact?

I have a sheet of liquid crystal material that is sensitive to small
changes in temperature.(Edmond Scientific- I think. Arbor Scientific may
have them too.) I get a hammer and strike a 2x4. I place the LC sheet
on the board. The dent made with the hammer is several shades of color
different than the rest of the board. A very visual and convincing demo.

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......