Re: [Phys-l] PV question

Brian Whatcott wrote:

Perhaps if I concede that I defined the process in question too narrowly (after all the ascii diagram shows that pressure doubles while the volume halves, apparently) then John will not demur if I deny that a pressure changing process is isobaric, nor suppose a volume changing process is isochoric? :-)

FWIW, I happily so concede! Still, referring back to the comment that motivated my response in the first place:

... a straight line on a P-V diagram would cross isotherms unnecessarily - so cannot be reversible

Cutting isotherms once, twice, or arbitrarily many times is irrelevant to the question of whether or not a process is reversible.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona