Re: [Phys-l] T dS versus dQ

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
Is this a "good" experiment:
It is not a good experiment, in one respect.
A well insulated cylinder with a low thermal mass and conductivity piston. The top of the piston's con rod, instead of a handle, has a weight cup. (included P and T sensors)

Trial A; continuously and slowly add small weights 'till the V is, say, 1/10 the original.
We may visualize this continuous process approximately, with a series of weights stationed between the starting position of the cup and piston, and its lower final position.
Trial B dump the weights in all at once (a single weight = in mass to the above ones)

We may visualize this discrete process by adding the sum of the weights mentioned in Trial A all at the highest position mentioned in Trial A
discussion: P and T and from the discussion S will differ, but the work mgh will be the same. Is this experiment at least qualitatively possible and instructive?
bc prays he's not all wet here.
I ask you to consider the potential energy contributed in Trial A to the potential energy contributed in Trial B.

ARE THEY THE SAME?

No, of course they are not the same.
If the energy contributed in trial A was sufficient to provide the compressed volume desired, where does the EXTRA energy provided in Trial B go?
Into heating the gas, increasing its entropy.
/snip/