Re: [Phys-l] T dS versus dQ

Equilibrium thermodynamics handles non-equilibrium (irreversible) processes, if they connect well defined initial and final equilibrium states, by noting that:
1) The initial and final states are equilibrium states in which state variables are well defined. and collectively define the system state.
2) One can then construct an alternate, reversible process consisting of a series of equilibrium states which evolve from the initial to the final state according to the "laws" of reversible, equilibrium thermodynamic processes. Every state in this reversible process is an equilibrium state and has well defined state variables.
3) One then uses the physics of equilibrium, reversible processes to calculate, along the chosen, reversible path of equilibrium states, whatever system state changes are of interest in the transition from the initial to the final states.
4) Since "a state is a state is a state", these system changes are identical to the system changes undergone by the originally considered irreversible process.

Some specifics:
**************************************
I said:
The equations of state apply only to
definable EQUILIBRIUM STATES,

JD replied:
I do not accept the restriction to "EQUILIBRIUM" states;

I continued:
where the state variables are definable.

JD replied:
We agree that the needed variables should be definable.

My specific comment:
If the state variables are all well defined, you have an equilibrium state.
JD wrote:
Even something as central and basic as the Carnot heat engine
requires two heat baths, at temperature T1 and temperature T2.
Each heat bath is in equilibrium with itself ... but not with
the other.
We all know how to handle this situation. I'm just saying
we shouldn't pretend it's an equilibrium situation. Any
nontrivial thermodynamics is non-equilibrium thermodynamics.

My specific comment:
During the Carnot cycle the system under consideration is always in a well defined equilibrium state. This in no way requires the two heat baths to be in equilibrium with each other. What are you thinking of?

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/res12merh/