Re: [Phys-l] Hybrid mileage

Am not sure if this is the cause but the gasoline manufacturers typically
have two different "mixtures" of gas summer and winter. They say that they
do this because the different conditions, primarily temperature related,
call for different gasoline characteristics for the motor to run most
efficiently. So they are being nice to do this because it helps the
customer. I can't help but wonder if one of the two mixes is cheaper to
refine.

Don Mathieson
Tulsa Community College
dmathies@tulsacc.edu

Robert Yeend <ryeend@sbcglobal.net>
Sent by: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
01/05/2010 02:16 PM
Please respond to
Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
cc
Nancy Seese <nancyseese@redshift.com>
Subject
[Phys-l] Hybrid mileage

A colleague asked me why it is that she consistently gets 6-8 mpg
less in the winter than summer with her Prius Hybrid. Her mechanic
said that that was "normal," but gave no explanation. Nor can I. She
said that she uses the heater in the winter about as much as the air
conditioner in the summer.

Ideas?

Bob Yeend