Re: [Phys-l] Copper and aluminum

On 12/14/2010 11:02 AM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
/snip/

When you're inclined, replace the iron pipe w/ PEX and use "noodles".As suggested, tape the ends together and the ends.
brian whatcott wrote:

The "unless" involves either a return flow pipe or an 'instantaneous'
heater. The return pipe need only be narrow gauge, but still it wastes
energy if it flows hot water to waste.

As I've posted, Costco sells (sold) a pump and relief valve so water will circulate w/o the need for a extra return pipe. It includes a 24 hr. timer.

bc

I think Josh's system uses copper.
Here's what one happy Costco customer said about returning chilled hot water via the cold water supply:

Rating:
4 out of 5
Andy1
Location: granada hills,CA
Date: November 22, 2008

great product

"i installed this product by myself, its very simple if you know what you're doing, in no time it started working instantly hot water gets to my kitchen and master bathroom in no time, the only thing is my gas bill doubled in the first 2 weeks and cold water line is not cold anymore its warm but i really think its worth paying more for gas."

You can see a positive side-effect of this method: the cold water supply gets heated - that stops freeze-ups in exposed situations.

Brian W