[Phys-l] waves on a string

In the past, we've discussed questions of energy and momentum transfer for waves on a string. (Try typing "Benumof" into the PHYS-L archive searcher for example.)

Anyhow, there's a recent Letter paper by Burko in Eur. J. Phys. 31:L71 (2010) claiming the usual textbook formula for energy of a string wave is wrong. The gist is that instead of the square of dy/dx in the PE term, one should have y * second deriv. of y w.r.t. x.

find this Letter near the bottom of: http://iopscience.iop.org/0143-0807/31/5

I wonder if some others on the list can look at this Letter and see what they think. -Carl

--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363