[Phys-l] The Abysmal Foundations of Thermodynamics

For some years now I have been frustrated by the lack of a text providing an intellectually rigorous and satisfying foundation for Thermodynamics. The subjects brought up frequently on this list reinforce this frustration.

Although all branches of physics are, IMHO, generally taught poorly, one can find, if determined, a handful of excellent treatments of most physics topics in text books and journal articles, however Thermodynamics seems to me to be an exception.

John Denker's notes are an excellent resource, but obviously not intended to be the sort of self-contained treatise I am looking for. I recently came across a text that is incredibly thorough in intent, but which differs so much from convention that I'm not sure if I can trust it or not. It's called 'Thermodynamics - Foundations and Applications' by Elias P. Gyftopoulos and Gian Paolo Beretta. I'd be very interested in hearing what any of you have to say about that work.

To get to my point, can any of you please refer me to a text, or a collection of journal articles, or even a website, that treats Thermodynamics with the logical consistency and conceptual clarity that is missing from virtually every resource I have ever encountered?

Failing that, can John Denker please tell me when he is going to write one? ;-)

I am EXTREMELY keen to hear your thoughts on this one, as it is a glaring hole in physics education at the moment.

All the best,

Derek