Re: [Phys-l] "compound" pendulum

Compound is the name horologists use, which is for them a pendulum of great interest.** It is a idealized form of the physical pendulum whose equation of motion is solved in intro. texts and the period is found by horologists.

John Haine*** uses the torques/moments of inertia method (which you used, and, I presume, do all the intro texts) to find the equation of motion (small angle approx.) and from that the period.

Thanks for the tip. The reason I want to nail this down is exactly because I have an intro text that, while I'm not sure (yet) presents an incorrect analysis, at least misleads with a diagram.

The problem you have w/ the Newtonian method illustrates the advantage of the Euler-Lagrangian formulation, which I suspect one can use. It ignores forces, only involving the KE and U (potential energy) as a function of generalized coordinates.

So granted. This sort of problem represents the typical limit to which I would try a force approach without switching over. But obviously my "force intuition" is lacking, so the pedagogy is pretty important, at least to me.

Stefan Jeglinski