Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

It's amusing to contemplate who if anyone is confused on this topic.

Treating a mass as a physicist's one dimensional mass - that boasts only location -
leads to a reasonable symmetry for f=ma

Treating a mass as having some extension in space, the concept in question is
this: provide a sharp edged onset, constant thereafter push.
The CofMass shows a ramp of acceleration which settles (finally) on f/m.
This delayed onset is passed in turn into more distant coupled carts etc.

Wavefront propagation in a waveguide and consideration of overall stored charge
may be discussed in a similar way, I think.

Brian W