Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

open circuit at the far end

We all know same w/a short, and if terminated by a Z (R-C-L) same as that of the coax, the dissipation doesn't stop

bc

On 2010, Nov 30, , at 17:05, brian whatcott wrote:

If I connect a battery to a lengthy coax - open circuit at the far end:
the coax consumes energy as though it were a resistor of the coax
characteristic impedance - 50 to 80 ohms as it might be.
After a time defined by twice the coax length and a large fraction of c,
that energy flux stops.