Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

I didn't mean to appeal to authority in the sense that John seems to be
asserting. I agree with John on his first two points, and I didn't mean
to imply any differently. We should not accept arguments based on
appeal to authority, whether the authority be Newton, Galileo, John or
myself.

However, with #3 I'm not sure John disagrees with what I wrote or not.

3) There's no need to be "harsh", but we should not tolerate
nonsense ... and we should not accept arguments based on
appeal to authority.

We agree that we do not need to be harsh. I, for one, understand why
students would say that forces cause motion (see previous message). I
assume John also understands.

John doesn't specifically mention what he considers "nonsense" but I'm
not sure I'd go so far as to say that "force causes motion" is nonsense.
It makes sense in the way I described in my message. [It is precisely
this "sense" that makes "force causes acceleration" more dangerous]

Still, just because we understand why students say something does not
mean we should tolerate that language without question. In this case,
it is sloppy and there are many places that such sloppiness can lead to
confusion. I'm guessing there are situations where I would be more
tolerant than John but that doesn't change our general agreement on this
issue.

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@po-box.esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq