Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

It seems to me that at some point, we make these abstract quantities into "things" that are capable of actions. So we talk about how much kinetic energy an object has, and we talk about work as a thing that changes the amount of energy the object "has". The change of the mv^2/2 term associated with the skater is associated with the change in some other quantity (a chemical energy term) also associated with the skater. But if you call one of them the source of the other, it seems to me that you are adopting the same kind of asymmetry we were trying to avoid. And yet, I don't know that it is possible to teach this without that kind of narrative.

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Sciamanda
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 11:38 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

Consider a skater who gains momentum by pushing off from a stationary tree.
The tree exerts a force on the skater and the line integral of that force
along the trajectory of the skater's C.M. is numerically equal to the
increase in the skater's KE. But in NO WAY is the tree the source of the
skater's KE increase. The source of that KE increase is metabolic - within
the skater's body. The skater has gained KE (at the expense of some
internal bio-chemical source), but the tree (really, the massive tree/earth
system) has not lost any energy. The tree and skater have exchanged
momentum, but not any energy.
Mathematically, all of this considers the mass ratio of the tree/earth
system to the skater to approach infinity.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/res12merh/