[Phys-l] : Re: The Strange Case of Quark

In a message dated 11/26/2010 9:45:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Spinozalens@AOL.COM writes:

In a message dated 11/26/2010 8:16:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lcrowell@SWCP.COM writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: Atoms and the Void [mailto:AVOID-L@lists.hawaii.edu] On Behalf Of
Bob Zannelli
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2010 5:30 AM
To: AVOID-L@lists.hawaii.edu
Subject: Re: The Strange Case of Quark Decays

In a message dated 11/25/2010 10:49:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lcrowell@SWCP.COM writes:

This is the essence of the GIM mechanism and strangeness changing
processes with Delta S = 1 in QCD, but where Delta S = 2 in weak interactions are
suppressed. This lead to the discovery of the charm quark. The result is
there are flavor changing neutral currents that have Delta S = 1 in QCD,
but they don't happen with weak interactions. The fractional charges of
quarks also make this somewhat mandatory as well.
LC

Well, I know the GIM mechanism allows the decays we see and suppresses
delta[S]= 2 decay modes. But the decay mode I described is a delta[S] = -1
decay mode.

Bob Zannelli
The strangeness changing mechanism, + or -1, and the GIM mechanism is one
of the motivating reasons for technicolor theories, where some of them mix
color and flavor numbers. This get into something I tried to work up back
in the late 1990s. The idea was that quark-gluon physics was the Han-Nambu
model, but where at low energy there is a phase transition to a fractional
quantum Hall physics that imposes these strange 1/3 and 2/3 charges, and
which also impose the GIM mechanism.

Well, isn't this interesting I tried the same thing a while back. I wrote
Frank Wilczek about this possibility a few years ago. His responses was
interesting. He told me that he had found this idea very attractive, the
fractional charges of quasi particles in the fractional Quantum hall effect
suggest this possibility, but he wasn't able to make this idea work. He did
send me a pre print on fractional Quantum numbers.

As you know the pattern of some of the fractional charges in FHE produce a
tower of anomaly free quasi particle Fermion states. And as demonstrated
by Bar and Abbas there is no physical reason the color degrees of freedom
couldn't be any odd number. I have these papers.

I am working again with our mutual friend Jerry Fitzpatrick on some of
these ideas. Jerry thinks that the discovery of SUSY at the LHC will falsify
the Fermion family model he and I worked on back in the day because his
model derives electric charge structure by an analytic continuation of the
Fermion operator. As far as I can see this is obviously wrong, you can model
Bosons as composite fermions. After all Bosons carry electric charge.

However, in the paper he sent me he raised the possibility of observation
of these higher color degree of freedom Fermions at the LHC. This possible
existence of these particles has always intrigued me. Of course there is
no evidence at all for them. But the mathematical machinery of the model I
worked on with Jerry has these additional fermions enjoying the same status
as Fermions with N_c= 1 and N_c=3. Jerry even suggested that these "exotic"
Fermions (in composite form) might be Dark Matter candidates. I think this
is unlikely but not impossible. This would require the composite neutral
exotic Fermion to be stable rather than the charged version as is the case
for N_c=3.

If these upper level Fermions actually exist it brings into question the
idea of Grand Unification, at least in the "conventional" sense. Rather
Quarks and Leptons would be connected by topological transforms (Sphalerons).
Interestingly I found that these topological transforms conserve the two
space U and V charges of Jerry's model for any color degree of freedom as long
as you sum over three generations.

Finally the existence of these exotic Fermions might be useful for the
gravity model I proposed which models gravity in terms of a global and local
cosmological constant. This model correctly predicts black hole temperature
as I demonstrated a while back but in runs into a big snag with the MSSM
SUSY. If SUSY breaks at about 300 GEV as expected the ZPE cutoff occurs at
too low an energy for this model. It causes all kind of problems. A possible
solution to this is the idea of split SUSY. That is rather than a single
SUSY breaking scale we have at least two, maybe more. This could push the
ZPE cutoff back down near the Planck Scale where I need it to make this model
work.

John Wells, Nima Arkani-Hamed and Savas Dimopoulos have already proposed a
model where the Gravitino and the Graviton have a mass split at high
energy, not at the 300 GEV scale. This eliminates the SUSY Gravitino problem
since standard MSSM SUSY predicts far too many Gravitinos if they acquire mass
at the low energy scale. Perhaps if these exotic Fermions exist they also
break SUSY at high energy.

Interestingly these split SUSY models still give us gauge coupling
Unification because the particles which have high masses, have masses way beyond
the low energy breaking scale and play almost no role in the running
coupling calculations. However, split SUSY doesn't solve the Higgs mass
stabilization problem. Perhaps however, the expanded virtual Fermion States that
Klauber and I proposed might do this. I think this was suggested in some papers
on this idea.

Bob Zannelli
**************************************

As a reminder this speculative gravity model was based on turning GR on its
head. Rather than consider the cc as an add on we propose it as
fundamental, that Gravity is induced by the Quantum fields which shift the action
density of Zero Point Fluctuations. We equate Sakharov's "ghost sector" with
Klauber's supplemental states

We start with

G_mu,nu+ Lambda*g_mu,nu= kappa*T^mu,mu

Which we rewrite as

G_mu,nu= -kappa*{ T_mu,un(global)_vac+ T^mu,ni(local_vac}

We have the summation over ZP fluctuations

Traditional states

int Dw L(+)= SUM ( all i} {B_i/(4*pi^2)}*int { 0 to w_c}
w^2*sqrt[w^2-m_i^2] dw -

SUM ( all i} {F_i/(4*pi^2)}*int { 0 to w_c}
w^2*sqrt[w^2-m_i^2] dw

Supplemental states

int Dw L(-)= SUM ( all i} {F_i/(4*pi^2)}*int { 0 to w_c}
w^2*sqrt[w^2-m_i^2] dw -

SUM ( all i} {B_i/(4*pi^2)}*int { 0 to w_c}
w^2*sqrt[w^2-m_i^2] dw

T^mu,.nu= (1/2)*{ chi_a*int Dw L(+) + chi^a int Dw L(-)}*g_mu,nu

rho_vac=- {3/(8*pi*G)}g^2

Where g is the gravity field

Bob Zannelli

Lawrence B. Crowell