Re: [Phys-l] Richard Dawkins Answers Reddit Questions

On Nov 22, 2010, at 2:03 AM, Jack Uretsky wrote:

[snip]

My view, by the way, is that all religions that we know of, were founded for governmantal purposes - religion is a device for telling other people how I want them to behave.
Regards,
Jack

Interestingly enough I just recently finished reading _Sex and War: How Biology Explains Warfare and Terrorism and Offers a Path to a Safer World_ by Potts and Haydn; best read of it's kind I've had since _Guns, Germs and Steel_ by Diamond.

The authors of S&W make the same case as Jack: Religion is exactly the technology you need to unite unrelated tribes to form city states en route to civilization, driven by innate biological drives towards defining in-groups and justifying biologically innate out-group violence and warfare. Despite (or perhaps because of) this outlook, S&W is actually a very hopeful read for humanity, and makes a lot of suggestions towards making the world a safer place. S&W also uses religious, societal and birthrate conditions to predict a lot of future violence in particular corners of the world. An interesting read (see reviews on Amazon).

Gotta lay off the fun reading and write,

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 1-716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>
Physics Graduate Coordinator ON SABBATICAL Fall 2010 / Spring 2011

Fall 2010 Visiting Scholar
Helsingin yliopisto 224 Physicum, Kumpula Campus
Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2a FI-00560 Helsinki