Re: [Phys-l] Teaching elementary astronomy

I was curious to see what the equatorial seasons might be in this analysis, and taking orbital eccentricity into account, June solstice diurnal insolation is about 6.8 % less than that at the December solstice. However diurnal insolation is at minima rather than maxima near those times. The insolation maxima are reached near the equinoxes, so Ecuadorians get two "summers". The effect is only a bit more than 10 %, however. For real seasons to occur the differences must be much greater, like a factor of six as I calculated for Burnaby. Again, thermal inertia (or the heat capacity buffer of crust, water, and atmosphere) accounts for the observation that there are no dramatic seasons at the equator. I do remember a visit I made to Costa Rica for an eclipse in 1991. It was there that I learned of El Niño for the first time. El Niño is an important determiner of Costa Rica's "seasons" with regard to weather, indicating that between the tropics the thermal reservoir heat capacity (the ocean in this case) is a relatively more important influence than variation in insolation.

On 21 Nov 2010, at 00:43, Brian Whatcott asks: