To address another comment about color mixing, I've written about this before on the NSTA list, so I won't go into any detail here, but as far as physics is concerned, there is no such thing as color mixing the way it is described in textbooks. It's all an illusion caused by the way the human visual system works.

Red plus Green does not make a new wavelength of light - it only *looks* yellow.

Scott

On 11/18/2010 12:00 PM, phys-l-request@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu wrote:
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:15:49 -0300
From: "CARABAJAL PEREZ, MARCIAL ROBERTO"<mcarabajalp@ypf.com>
Subject: [Phys-l] About black zones in screens

Hello:

I would like to ask a question to the experts in optics. We are considering the screen image generated by a classroom projector in the case of a picture with black and white boxes, like the chess table. Are the black zones of the screen generated by absence of light (relying in an eye illusion), or they have some particular color ?. I have heard that some new LCD or LEDs TVs are using a particular light length.

My best regards.
Roberto