From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Espinosa, James
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:29 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] Gravity?

Joel, g is still the free-fall acceleration of bodies near the surface
of the Earth, which istself is due to the pull of the whole Earth. I
only assume Newton's Laws of Motion and a state of Equilibrium to derive
N = mg. My students understand it. Try avoiding the use of "weight"
when students constantly hear or read about "losing weight."
Individuals leaning against the wall require friction and horizontal
forces for equilibrium; I do not consider such, only vertical forces.

James Espinosa