Re: [Phys-l] Heat transfer lab

On 11/17/2010 11:58 AM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
Realizing this (verticality of demo.) I needn't have asked my question, as it'll work w/ any orientation of the rod. Vertical is best. (The liquid drips down displacing the vapour?)

bc

I don't want to leave this heap pipe topic without mentioning the sensitivity to orientation of heat pipes which depend on the denser liquid flowing back down to the hot end under its own weight.
This weight being absent, for example when the pipe is horizontally oriented or in space - or more so when the hot end is on top, the alternative construction provides a capillary return method - the inside sleeve wicking the liquid back,
mentioned in earlier posts.

The other invention of interest is the thermal diode which shows high thermal conductivity when one end is hotter than the other - and low conductivity when that end is cooler than the other. Mentioned a year ago in Arxiv...
Non-linearity: the next generation of physics? :-)

Brian W