Re: [Phys-l] [physicsfirst] Research on Physics First

Re: Research on Physics FirstRichard;

For clarification:
"Horton's evidence is based on class average scores on the physics and biology sections of the California Standards Test (CST), but the validity of the former has been questioned by physicist Larry Woolf and others"

Larry Woolf and others questioned a small number of released test questions which, by definition, will never be on the exam again. Questions are field tested before being used and, as on any test, some poor questions sneak by. You quote studies using the FCI as a measurement. Didn't we just witness a 2-week email discussion of a poor question on the FCI on the physshare list? Pot calling the kettle black? Yes, you'll argue that this question has been removed. So have the questions cited by Woolf and others.

"San Diego school board trustee Katherine Nakamura noted that adoption of PF drastically increased the number of students taking science"

This isn't the first time we've discussed this, but it's good to know that the argument hasn't changed even in light of completely contradictory evidence. I couldn't believe it the first time you quoted a board member, I am shocked that you did it again after I showed the evidence that she is completely wrong almost 2 years ago!. I pointed out the last time you used this completely anecdotal and unverified comment (that doesn't even address whether the freshmen learned any physics or not) that (a) the same year that San Diego implemented PF, they also raised the graduation requirement for science from 2 years to 3 years and (b) even still, the rest of the state outpaced San Diego in increases in science enrollment. I provided enrollment data for San Diego and for the State of California to prove my point. You provided a quote from the newspaper. . . and you put it in all capitals.

I pointed out last time that we had this identical discussion that you are not usually so careless in your research and I've come to expect far more from you over the years. And I still hold that opinion with all topics except this one where it appears that your bias for the subject poisons your scientific reasoning.

Here's the first school on your list of "non-elite" schools, "Loyola High School: Los Angeles. All-male, four-year, Catholic college preparatory school conducted by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits)." Tuition: $13,810, Fees $1,000. I don't know what your definition of elite is, but a $15,000 all-male private school is elite in my book.

The second school, Palm Desert High School had 28 freshmen (out of 524 freshmen) take physics. Not one of them is an English Learner and only 3 were economically disadvantaged. These proportions are much lower than the school at large suggesting enrollment based upon previous success. PF has been understood (at least by me) to be physics for all (or at least most) in 9th grade. This is not the case with PDHS and I would argue that they don't even do PF, they allow the top 5% of their students to take physics in 9th grade. That's different than PF.

I must say that I am VERY highly offended by this email. First, you keep repeating arguments that have been crushed previously using data that is easily accessible to anyone. Second, you repeat arguments that even on the page that you cite, you stipulate that I have shown them to be untrue before, but you don't point that out in the email, you state them as true without any qualifiers whatsoever (in regards to your citing that non-elite schools have posted on the physics lists that they have had success). That is unethical and underhanded. I don't think that you are an unethical person, I just think that you are blinded by your bias towards this subject. It's the only explanation that I can think of why a person who normally is so careful in their research could be so careless when it comes to PF over and over again.

I don't get any joy out of being the lone skeptic on the physics-first list. I don't like staying up until 2 am researching schools. But I absolutely abhor claims that are not substantiated by evidence. That's why I stay on the list and that's why I only jump in when someone makes a statement that is either not true or unproven. And I love physics and believe that all students should be exposed to it. But the data show that doing this by imposing physics in the 9th grade for all students has not been successful in schools with average California demographics and certainly not in an entire district. I'm sure that there's a school out there somewhere that is not elite and is having success, but that doesn't mean that it is replicable everywhere and that's what the PF proponents are proposing.

I've posted many times a paper that I wrote several years ago about the perils of PF. It can be found at the bottom of http://scienceinquirer.wikispaces.com/CSTA along with the enrollment data that I collected (in January, 2009) to show that your board member quote was incorrect.

Please do not post this information again as if it were true.

I'm really not interested in arguing PF again in public. With all the BS that has been going around the lists lately, I'm very close to unsubscribing and I don't want to contribute to the same feeling in other list members. But this email really infuriated me and I had to respond.

I'd be happy to discuss any points in this email off-list with anyone interested.

Mike