Re: [Phys-l] October Physics Challenge

Carl,

Notice that, at the default 30 degree angle, the acceleration of M is larger than m. This means that the slipping speed will only increase. But if you change the angle in the spreadsheet from the default 30 degrees to 25 degrees, you will see that the acceleration of M is now smaller than m, meaning that eventualy the slipping will cease (assuming we don't run out of ribbon or slope.) The spreadsheet indicates that fact which then allows you to look at case 1 to see whether or not the "both static" case can persist. In this case it can.

The suggested research project is to determine if there is any situation in which a slipping block will stop, BUT case 1 is not allowed so that case 2 ensues.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona