Re: [Phys-l] October Physics Challenge

-------
To be concrete, try the following values:

M = 2*m
theta = 30 degrees
mu_s = 0.75
mu_k = 0.35

Suppose that it were possible (which it is) to
have the heavy block (M) slipping on the ribbon
while the light block (m) does not. Compute the
magnitude and direction of the acceleration of:

(a) the ribbon (with the light block riding on it)------
Read () as (theta).

I get: a = gsin() - mu_k * 2gcos(), which is -1.06 m/s^2 (up the ramp).

------

-(b) the heavy block
--------

I get just less than 2 m/s^2 towards the bottom of the ramp.

relative to the lab frame. Verify explicitly that
the static friction holding the light block on
the ribbon is less than its maximum value.It is, by a bit.

So... where's the issue in our analysis? In what regime does this apply?

jg

Have fun! -Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363