Re: [Phys-l] Solving American ______________

The problem, John, is that scientists (and politicians like AlGore) do not just stick to the facts. What they tell the public is that all He** is breaking loose. Sea levels will rise and civilization as we know it will cease to exist. Students all over the country are exposed to nothing more than An Inconvenient Truth. Hansen at NASA is an alarmist. This doesn't help the cause. When people discover that many of these things are exaggerations, they lose faith in the people saying them. Students are told to accept it because a consensus of scientists believe it. That's not what science is about. As I said in my post regarding science, politics, and religion, the scientists do themselves no favors by distorting things. By all means, the things you mention should be part of any discussion of global warming. Unfortunately, they are not. There is little attempt to inform the public about the science behind the issue. Instead, people are told to accept it because that's what scientists believe.

I don't think there was any claim that scientists are hiding what they know. It's all about how this is disseminated to the public.

Bill

William C. Robertson, Ph.D.