Re: [Phys-l] HS Science Courses

ASTRONOMY!

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Steinert, Jeff
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 3:50 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: [Phys-l] HS Science Courses

Dwight Souder wrote:

In Ohio, students now must now have 4 years of science credit. The problem
we are running into is that we are a small school (about 100 students per
grade level) and have only 3 science teachers. We've been asked to think of
other science courses that might be offered to help fulfill these 4 credits
(years) of science credit. Currently, we only have Chemistry, Physics,
Advanced Physics, Anatomy & Physiology, Environmental science, Biology,
Physical science, and Life Science.

My fellow science teachers and I are looking into other classes that we
might be able to offer. We are looking for classes that could be geared
more for the "upper level" students and "weaker" students. AP courses are
also being considered.

At my school (despite the emphasis on arts electives, one of the best
academic schools in Arizona) we have about the same number of students,
require four years of science to graduate (although the state requires only
two), and offer no electives whatsoever in any academic subject. Four years
of English, social studies, foreign language, math (through Pre-calculus or
Calculus), and science are required to graduate. Students take Biology,
Chemistry, Physics, and Environmental Science, in that order. If you don't
pass, or make up the class in summer school, you don't move to the next
grade. I think you have plenty of courses and choices for students. If you
offer more, you run the risk of having a large turnover in faculty due to
the stress of teaching three (or more!) different preps.

Yours,
--
Jeff Steinert
11-12 Team Leader