From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Chuck Britton [cvbritton@embarqmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 3:22 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: [Phys-l] A Crude Attempt at Analysis

Assume a cubical volume of water. If we integrate the net force over
the entire surface of that cube, we come up with a total force that
is the weight of the fluid in that cubical volume.

ok so far? (I think I saw this a physics text - so it MUST be right.)

Let's position that cubical, mathematical volume directly ojn the
glass at the bottom of my aquarium, positioned exACTLY such that
there is not one single molecule of water below this mathematical
volume.

It seems to me (naively) that we better come up with exACTLY the same
total force when we integrate force around all SIX sides of this
mathematical volume as we did the first time.

The pseudoContact force of the bottom is supplying exACTLY the same
contribution to the total force as did the layer of water that used
to be there.

Go ahead - shoot me down.
I ain't no theoretician and I CAN take a hit when it's called for.