Re: [Phys-l] A Crude Attempt at Analysis

Maybe we need to go microstep by microstep through the thought experiment I proposed at the end of my last message:

1. Position the box JUST above the bottom so that the two surfaces are JUST BARELY in contact and the water is excluded. Make sure you understand what "just barely in contact" means on an atomic scale and that you, therefore, understand that there will be NO significant force DUE to that contact.

2. Note, therefore that you will have to provide an upward force of support on the box since there are NO other upward forces.

3. Release the box and note that it will accelerate downward due to the fact that you have removed the upward force that kept it in place.

4. Notice that the box is now being driven into more substantial contact with the surface. Make sure you understand what "more substantial contact" means on an atomic scale and that you, therefore, understand that the surface will be put into compression.

5. Because of that increasing compression, the surface will apply an increasingly strong upward force to the bottom of the box.

6. At some point that upward force will balance the downward force so the acceleration will fall to zero. However, because the box is now MOVING downward, it will continue downward, thereby compressing the surface and increasing the upward force even more.

7. With the now upward NET force, the box slows, stops, and then begins moving back up.

8. The process may repeat itself with additional "overshoots," but the oscillations are damped and the box quickly (and I mean QUICKLY!!!!) comes to rest at JUST the right position such that the upward compressive force of contact at the bottom of the box JUST balances the downward forces on the box due to gravity and fluid contact on the exposed sides.

This is what happens EVERY time an object is placed on a surface so there's nothing remarkable or unique to the case of having nearby fluids. The only remarkable thing (and it WOULD be remarkable!) is the idea that you could have surfaces that are SO flat that they would exclude the water while being barely in contact.

If this doesn't do it for you I'm afraid I can't be clearer and really have to move on to other things.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona