Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

I think a closeup of the lid would be very helpful. The oh so light air
should have compressed and lid deformed or bowed downward. This would be
more confirmation of compressive interaction between the lid and the
aquarium. To see the compression an object like a soda straw across the lid
could be used as a reference.

Nice experiment, but as I already said it is just a suction cup.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX