Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

On 11/5/2010 7:53 AM, Chuck Britton wrote:
/snip/
My hypothesis (which I am QUITE ready to have disproved -
experimentally) is that SuperGlue or threads will exert the SAME
upward force on the bottom sheet of glass.
The results might shed some light on the complexities of suction cups
but I'd prefer to keep the smoke and mirrors to a minimum.
/snip/
I am again reminded that
A man convinced against his will
is of the same opinion, still.

(F.Drake imputed)

Hmmm wonder: to which embodiment of the pretend experiment
does Chuck refer?

The tapered soda cup half submerged with a toothpaste seal?
(small upforce due to normal water pressure on the projected
horizontal area of tapered cup wall)

right sealed cylinder fully submerged and base-sealed?
(small downforce due to compressed cylinder's weight and
head of water over cylinder's top)

Other?

:-)

Brian W