Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

This is probably a valid test without adhesives. It is essentially a
suction cup. So it shows that there is a compressive force. But a simple
free body diagram also shows this. Gosh, is this "simple" physics so
difficult?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

For what it is worth, I placed a large shallow screw-on top (like the
lid to a can of baby formula but deeper) on the bottom of a larger
container. I then filled the container with water, holding down the lid
while it filled. I then let go.

No adhesives were used.

You can predict what happened and then look at the pictures:
<http://www.esu.edu/physics/cohen/phys-l/>