From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Chuck Britton
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:37 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

I'm guessing that the lightweight pole would indeed stretch upward a
bit as it becomes submerged.

Did you look at my solutions to the submerged pole problem (assummed
impermeable). See:
<http://www.anselm.edu/internet/physics/phys-l/pilingProb.pdf>
I solved it using your definition of buoyancy and again using the net
force of the fluid viewpoint. One gets the same answer either way. The
pole is in compression.