Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

Let me extend the Gedankenexperiment a bit.

Consider the glass-bottomed aquarium, with water.

1) Lower into it a stiff-sided, flat-bottomed box, filled with water. If the
walls of the box are of the same density as the water, this box should be
neutrally-buoyant in the water, and float (albeit unstably) at just about any
depth you'd like (neglecting the minor compressibility of water). Of course, the
water level in the aquarium will go up a smidgen.
2) Glue this box securely to the bottom of the aquarium, sealing the edges well.
Presumably, there is no change to the net force on the aquarium bottom due to
this process.
3) Pump out the water in the box, and replace it with air.
4) Pump out the air in the box, and replace it with He.
5) Pump out the He in the box -- it's "replaced" with vacuum.

Suppose now we somehow dissolve the bottom of the smaller box, so that its
contents are fully in contact with the aquarium bottom. We've blended the box
bottom and the aquarium bottom.

I think that:

* The water-filled box will have no change to the net forces exerted on it.
* The air-filled box will have no change to the net forces exerted on it.
* The vacuum-filled box will have no change to the net forces exerted on it.

This last one -- the vacuum-filled box -- is effectively a suction cup at this
point, firmly stuck to the bottom of the aquarium, and held there by the weight
of the water. Yet if we only consider Archimedes' "rule", it should have the
_greatest_ buoyant force on it, as it displaces the same amount of surrounding
water as all the other boxes, yet contains the least mass to be acted upon by
gravity.

And if the vacuum-filled box is firmly stuck to the bottom of the aquarium due
to overpressure, wouldn't the original box-with-a-bottom be the same?

"The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the
one is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the
unknowable." ~~Roger Zelazny, in "Lord of Light"